A New Concern
I would like to sincerely thank all of the people who took the time to contact me after this week’s email update on Project RACE. I am personally responding to each one. It may take a while! Here is a recap of some of the current concerns:
- Does the multiracial community even care if our numbers are skewed? This is all a numbers game—it always has been—and we should care a lot. The lower our population numbers, the less we matter to the government, businesses, advertising agencies, retailers, the medical system, and on and on.
- Do we only exist for the annual party, movie, or book signing?
- Do we really want to go back to the days when the one-drop rule was the law?
- Do number tabulation and voting redistricting mean anything to us?
- Should you even have to think about whether interracial marriages are allowed?
- Will we be deported because we’re not 100% white?
- Do we want respect for our identity choices, political clout, appreciation for the diversity our children bring to their schools, and the end of the tragic mulatto stories once and for all?
- Does it really matter if our history is accurate?
Perhaps I did not successfully illustrate what is at stake if people still don’t care. Take a look for yourselves at an article and video that came out today from Breitbart and Buzzfeed about how being mixed-race is a hindrance. It’s at http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/01/14/buzzfeed-being-mixed-race-bad/ Is this really what you want our children to read and see?
Again, let me know what you think. My email is email@example.com
Susan Graham for Project RACE